FishingAngling for adventure? Then drop your line in Wells Gray and Clearwater. One of the last great wilderness preserves, Wells Gray Park and nearby Clearwater are ultimate angling destinations.
Our freshwater lakes and rivers are teeming with fish as diverse as our rugged landscapes making for extraordinary fishing experiences. Tie your fly. Send it reeling. Drink in the glories of the great outdoors while you wait for something to bite.
Fifty lakes within a one-hour drive of Clearwater means there’s plenty of room to cast your line. Try fly-fishing from the Dragon’s Tongue at Clearwater Lake’s Osprey Falls. Take your fishing kit with you on your hike to Alice Lake.
Paddle the remote bays of Murtle Lake for trophy size rainbows tipping the scales between 7 and 11 pounds. Stand on the shores of the Clearwater River practising catch-and-release, taking in only solitude and serenity. Head out on your own or hire a local outfitter to show you the best spots to land a Dolly and catch wild BC salmon.
Come See the Salmon
|Witness one of Nature’s most amazing feats as salmon return to our rivers from August to October. The arrival of bright red salmon marks the end of a three-year, 4,000-km journey that takes them from their spawning grounds to Alaska and back.
Hike to Bailey’s Chute and watch in wonder as thousands of salmon jump their way up the waterfall. Marvel at black bears and Grizzlies fishing Bailey’s Chute. Visit the Raft River Salmon Viewing Platform to watch the spectacle or take part in the annual First Fish Celebration.
Explore the Clearwater Trout Hatchery to learn about trout and Kokonee and how the hatchery stocks nearby lakes.
Need to Know
- You need a valid freshwater fishing license to fish in British Columbia.
- Licenses can be purchased on-line or locally at selected retail outlets
- Three guided outfitters offer a variety of river kayaking and rafting tours, from family-friendly floating on the North Thompson to adrenaline-fuelled kayaking and rafting the Clearwater River
- Clearwater Lake Tours offers guided cruises and water taxi service on Clearwater and Azure Lakes, as well as canoe/kayak rentals and guided overnight camping
- You’ll need to portage in to canoe/kayak Murtle Lake. Carts are available at the trailhead to make the portage easier.
- Murtle Lake Canoes rent canoes and kayaks to those who register in advance